Science Museum News
Science Museum Celebrates Astronomy Day
Springfield Science Museum
April 16, 2010
The Springfield Museums’ Weekend Family Fun series will continue with Astronomy Day on Saturday, April 24. Activities will take place at the Springfield Science Museum from 11 am to 4 pm and are free with museum admission unless noted.
Weekend Family Fun programs are sponsored by TD Bank.
· 10 am-5 pm - Visit the special exhibit Black Holes: Space Warps and Time Twists. Get a space explorer’s card and fly your excursion pod to the edge of a black hole. Record your discoveries and pictures on a personalized website that you can share with your friends at home. ($3 special exhibition fee)
· 11:15 am, noon, 1 & 2 pm – Planetarium Shows (additional fee)
· Noon and 2 pm – Tours of the Science Museum’s rooftop observatory.
· 1-4 pm - Sunspot viewing through filtered telescopes on the Quadrangle.
· 1-4 pm - Meteorite display and demonstration.
Astronomy Day began in 1973 as a local activity organized by the Astronomical Association of Northern California. Over the years, it has grown into an international event, with hundreds of museums, planetariums, and astronomy clubs participating.