George Walter Vincent Smith Art Exhibits
Festival of Flowers 2014 - George Walter Vincent Smith Art Museum
April 3rd, 2014 through April 6th, 2014
George Walter Vincent Smith Art Museum
The museum galleries will overflow with stunning floral arrangements as this much-anticipated event returns for a second year. All four museums will burst with color when over 50 museum objects are creatively interpreted by florists, designers, and garden club members. Join us as we celebrate the coming of spring throughout the art, history and science museums!
Works of inspiration include French paintings, American contemporary art, Chinese cloisonné, Islamic rugs, the rainforest and Indian Motocycles.
On view in this museum...
- Japanese Suit of Armor (Duimyo of Arima) by Miochin Yoshimichi, as interpreted by Robin Whitney, Worcester Garden Club
- Laocoon by Agesander, Athanadoros and Polydoros of Rhodes, as interpreted by Lynn Matteson, "Splurge" Flowers by Lynn
- Steampunk Springfield: Reimagining an Industrial City exhibition, as interpreted by Susan Roy, Dancing Scarab Designs; Wil Stebbins, Freelance Floral Design; and Christy Langone, AIFD CFD
- Autumn Woods: Road to Ausable Ponds, Adirondack by Roswell Morse Shurtleff, as interpreted by Theodore Metayer, Heavenly Inspirations Flowers & Gifts
- Courtship by J.G. Brown, as interpreted by Joann DiRico
- Hospitality Peaches by J.J. LaValley, as interpreted by Barbara-Ann Mineo, Floral Concepts by Tom
- Large Temple Vase (Paradise of Immortal Beings) as interpreted by Joanne Teehan, Langone Florist
- Japanese stoneware vase as interpreted by Sarah Ribeiro, Worcester Garden Club
- Tekke Turkmen rug as interpreted by Kim Cutler, Worcester Garden Club
- Talish Carpet as interpreted by Suzanne Reed, Springfield Garden Club
More museum inspired arrangements
D'Amour Museum of Fine Arts
Springfield Science Museum
Wood Museum of Springfield History
Festival of Flowers is sponsored by Flowers, Flowers!, Dave DiRico’s Golf and Racquet, Durocher Florist, Gardeners on the Green in Longmeadow, Randall’s Farm and Greenhouse and Springfield Florists Supply Inc.