Springfield Museums Press Releases
Culture & Cocktails Series Returns to Museums
General Museum News
September 16, 2013
The Springfield Museums will kick off its fourth season of Culture & Cocktails events with Oktoberfest: The Art of the Brew on Thursday, October 3, 2013 from 5–8 pm at the Merrie and Lyman Wood Museum of Springfield History. The event is free for members, and $10 for nonmembers, and is open to ages 21 and up. This month’s event is sponsored by FieldEddy Insurance. The media sponsor for the Culture & Cocktails series is The Republican/Masslive.
Culture & Cocktails is a monthly after-five event held at one of the four museums on the Quadrangle campus. Each month’s theme is inspired by the Springfield Museums’ extensive collections, special exhibits and holiday celebrations. For an affordable price ($5-20), guests can enjoy live music, artist demonstrations, exclusive gallery tours, guest lec¬turers, craft beer tastings, wine pairings, specialty cocktails and creative hors d’oeuvres. Springfield Museums members receive free admission to all Culture & Cocktails events.
The October 3 Oktoberfest is a beer tasting featuring samples from more than ten home-brewers as well as Amherst Brewing Co., Artisan Beverage Coop., Berkshire Brewing Co., Brewmaster Jack, Paper City Brewing Co., Peak Organic Brewing Co., the People’s Pint, and the Scantic River Brewery. The event also features live music by the Charlie Galvin Band and authentic German hors d’oeuvres courtesy of the Student Prince.
The series continues through June 2014 with scheduled events to include:
- November 7, 2013- Martinis, Jazz & the Roaring ‘20s, Wood Museum of Springfield History
- December 12, 2013 (Second Thursday)- Champagne & Moonlight, Springfield Science Museum
- February 6, 2014- Indulgence: An Evening of Wine and Chocolate, George Walter Vincent Smith Art Museum
- March 6, 2014- A Taste of New Orleans, Wood Museum of Springfield History
- April 3, 2014- Festival of Flowers, All Museums
- May 1, 2014- Steampunk Party, George Walter Vincent Smith Art Museum
- June 5, 2014- Modern Art and Mojitos, D’Amour Museum of Fine Arts