Springfield Museums Press Releases
Lecture and Tour Schedule for April
General Museum News
March 18, 2013
Each month, The Springfield Museums offer visitors a variety of lectures and gallery tours. On Thursdays, the popular Museums à la Carte lectures are held at 12:15 p.m. in the Michele and Donald D’Amour Museum of Fine Arts. Admission is $4 ($2 for members of the Springfield Museums), and visitors are invited to bring lunch (cookies and coffee are provided). The programs are sponsored by Big Y World Class Market. For more information about Museums à la Carte, call 413.263.6800, ext. 488. This month’s lectures include:
- April 4 - Festival of Flowers: The Art in Bloom Road Show; Senior Associates from The Museum of Fine Arts Boston. The behind-the-scenes story of “Art in Bloom,” the Museum of Fine Arts Boston’s festival of art and flowers.
- April 11 - Madagascar; Amy S. Dane, world traveler and docent. Having existed in isolation for some 80 million years, Madagascar is a “biodiversity hotspot,” home to plants and animals found nowhere else on earth, and the world’s fourth-largest island.
- April 18 - No lecture (School Vacation Week)
- April 25 - The Untold Story of Springfield’s William G. Morgan, Inventor of Volleyball; Joel B. Dearing, author, assistant professor of physical education, Springfield College. This presentation examines Springfield’s role in the invention of volleyball by William G. Morgan, and explores his surprising connections to James Naismith.
A new element to the Museums’ line-up is the addition of informal half-hour “mini-tours” every Sunday at 1 PM. Led by volunteer docent educators, the mini-tours are designed to highlight a different element of the unique collections of one of the four museums. The mini-tours are free with Museum admission. Visitors are encouraged to check the Museums’ website or to check in the Welcome Center for an updated schedule of mini-tours This month’s scheduled topics are:
- April 7 - Renaissance to Enlightenment, presented by Liz Stahl, D’Amour Museum of Fine Arts.
- April 14 - Aviation Assets, presented by Arch Battista, Wood Museum of Springfield History.
- April 21 - Historical Monument of the American Republic, presented by Deena Maniscalchi, D’Amour Museum of Fine Arts.
- April 28 - Ancient Religion, presented by Nicole Bourguignon, George Walter Vincent Smith Art Museum.
April also marks the renewal of the monthly Walking Tour series, presented in collaboration with the Armoury Quadrangle Civic Association (AQCA). On April 13, from 10:30 a.m. – noon, join Carol Costa, former teacher and current resident of Classical Condominiums, for a tour titled “Classical High School,” highlighting important facets of the building’s history and architecture. Walking tours are free for Springfield Museums and AQCA members, $5 nonmembers.
Secure free onsite parking is available.