Springfield Museums Press Releases
Museums Invite Families to “Feel The Beat!” During February Vacation
General Museum News
January 30, 2013
The Springfield Museums have announced their slate of activities for the upcoming school vacation week, February 18-23. The week-long program, titled Feel The Beat!, is tied thematically to the Museums’ current GUITAR exhibition, and will feature a range of musical activities as well as concerts by top-tier children’s performers, including “Mister Steve” from PBS KIDS. As always, the week’s events will also include educational demonstrations, planetarium shows, and hands-on art opportunities as well. Activities are free with the price of museum admission unless noted otherwise.
The schedule of family-friendly performances taking place in the Davis Auditorium of the D’Amour Museum of Fine Art is as follows:
- Mon., Feb. 18, 1 pm - American Dance from Africa to Broadway. Okra Dance Company combines history with dance in performing styles from early African and European to the popular stage and social dances that we see today.
- Tues., Feb. 19, 1 pm - The Pirate Show. Toe Jam Puppet Band leads kids on a pirate adventure with piraty jigs like ‘The Skull & Crossbones Square Dance,’ and a line dance called ‘Pirates Arrr Funky.’
- Wed., Feb. 20, 1 pm – Capoeira. Ginga Brasileira presents a colorful blend of Afro-Brazilian art and dance forms like Capoeira (a unique blend of self-defense, dance, music, and gymnastics) as well as Maculele and Samba.
- Thu., Feb. 21, 1 pm - Hip Hop Dimensions. Building on the popularity of shows like America’s Best Dance Crew, the Poetry in Motion Crew specializes in celebrating Hip Hop and break dancing as positive outlets for artistic expression.
- Fri., Feb. 22, 1 pm - The Chocolalala Concert. Mister G’s newest CD, Chocolalala, is an irresistible collection of bilingual songs that blend Latin rhythms and traditional instruments into a one-of-a-kind dance party.
- Sat., Feb. 23, 11 am and 1 pm - Mr. Steve. Steve Roslonek (a.k.a “Mr. Steve) is the co-host of the PBS KIDS morning program. Mr. Steve blends smart lyrics, catchy melodies and thoughtful messages into fun participatory songs that kids love and adults find irresistible. Mr. Steve’s appearances are courtesy of WGBY.
There are also activities scheduled daily from February 18–23, including:
- Seymour Planetarium Shows at 11:15 am, noon, 1 & 2 pm, Science Museum (additional fee)
- Art Activities, 10:30 am-1 pm, GWVS Studios or Science Workshop
- Gallery Science Demonstrations 11 am-2 pm, Science Museum
- Art Discovery Center, Noon-3:45 pm, GWVS Art Museum
Feel the Beat! vacation week activities are part of the Museums’ Family Fun series and are sponsored by Community Foundation of Western Massachusetts.
One admission ticket provides access to all four Springfield Museums and the Dr. Seuss National Memorial Sculpture Garden. Admission is $15 for adults, $10 for seniors and college students, $8 for children 3-17, and free for children under three and museum members. General admission is free for Springfield residents with proof of address. There is a special exhibition fee of $3 for all visitors ages 3 and up to view GUITAR in addition to museum admission.