Springfield Museums Press Releases
Celebrate the Season with Holiday Fun at the Springfield Museums
General Museum News
November 8, 2012
The Springfield Museums will kick off the holiday season with an afternoon of family fun and an early evening Lighting of the Quadrangle celebration on Friday, Nov. 23.
Holiday Happenings, 10 am-5 pm; Free with price of museum admission unless noted. Family Fun programs are sponsored by TD Bank through the TD Charitable Foundation.
- Performance, 2 pm: Santa’s North Pole Express by Wayne Martin Puppets – A magical holiday experience featuring hand puppets and marionettes. Board the North Pole Express and meet Frosty, Rudolph, Elmer Elf, Suzy Snowflake, Peter and Penelope Penguin, and more.
- Special Exhibition: Gingerbread Fairy Tales – Amazing gingerbread creations displayed against holiday trees and murals depicting beloved fairy tales. Vote for your favorite entry in the colorful array of houses by local bakeries, culinary schools, and talented individuals. The exhibit is sponsored by Yankee Candle and Hampden Bank.
- Living Art Installation, 4:30 pm – TEN31 Productions brings a winter birch tree to life.
- Ongoing Activities– Art-making activities and science demonstrations.
Lighting of the Quadrangle Celebration, 5-7 pm; Free
- Lighting Ceremony, 5 pm – See the Quadrangle and Dr. Seuss Sculpture Garden sparkle.
- Refreshments, 5-7 pm - Keep warm with free hot chocolate, coffee and cookies.
- Ongoing activities, 5-7 pm - Take a ride in a horse-drawn wagon pulled by retired, homeless work horses from Blue Star Equiculture Draft Horse Sanctuary in Palmer. Meet and take pictures with Santa and the Grinch. See a living art installation by TEN31 Productions. Listen to holiday carols and a performance by the band from Springfield’s High School of Science and Technology. Explore the Gingerbread Fairy Tales special exhibition.
All Lighting of the Quadrangle evening events are free and do not require a museum admission ticket.
Free onsite parking is available.