Springfield Museums Press Releases
Science Museum Celebrates Earth Day
Springfield Science Museum
March 31, 2006
The Springfield Science Museum will hold its 16th annual Earth Day celebration with a family festival on the Quadrangle green and a city-wide clean up of Springfield parks and conservation lands.
11 a.m.-4 p.m.:
- Live animal demonstrations
- Free tree seedlings from the Springfield Forestry Division
- Casting lessons from the Mass. Wildlife Angler Education Program
- Aquarium display from the Pioneer Valley Aquarium Society
- Interactive composting activity from Starbucks Coffee Company
- Exhibits and demonstrations by Citizens for a Clean Springfield, Massachusetts Community Water Watch, MASSPOWER, Sierra Club, Springfield Department of Public Works, and Springfield Water and Sewer Commission.
11 a.m.-3 p.m.:
- Environmental songs by the Blue Grass band known as "The Boys of the Landfill."
- Live owls, hawks and other majestic birds of prey presented by Tom Ricardi of the Massachusetts Bird of Prey Rehabilitation Program
Earth Day Clean-up: Saturday, April 29
8:30 a.m.-3 p.m.
Volunteers will work in teams to remove trash from public parks, conservation areas and sections of the Mill River Watershed. In the Science Museum's previous 15 clean-ups combined, hundreds of volunteers have removed 271 tons of debris from public areas in Springfield.
Clean up volunteers should meet in the parking lot of Breckwood Plaza at the corner of Breckwood Boulevard and Wilbraham Road (by the Dunkin' Donuts and Mory's Pub). Gloves, trash bags, buckets and directions to cleanup sites will be provided. A complimentary lunch will be served at noon.
The clean up is supported by the City of Springfield, Astro Chemicals, C & W Breckwood Realty Co., Clean Harbors Environmental Services, D'Angelo Sandwich Shop, Dunkin' Donuts, Joseph Freeman Company, Inc., Freihofer's, Friendly Ice Cream Corp., Handy House, Inc., MASSPOWER, Starbucks Coffee Company, Stop and Shop Supermarkets, Subway Sandwich Shops, Superior Carriers, and Waste Management, Inc.