Springfield Museums Press Releases
Final Week of Summer Spectacular Programs
General Museum News
July 30, 2012
The Springfield Museums “Summer Spectacular” series of family fun will conclude the week of August 13-17 with a medieval minstrel show, Arabic dance and music, and a marionette performance of Peter and the Wolf in addition to special exhibitions and activities. Live performances will be offered on Wednesday, Thursday and Friday at 1 pm. Activities are free with the price of museum admission unless noted.
The premier summer sponsor is Massachusetts Mutual Life Insurance Company (MassMutual). The live performances are also supported in part by Berkshire Bank.
Daily Activities, August 13-17
- Enter the royal world of castles and kings and practice your building skills with a visit to the special exhibit LEGO® Castle Adventure, 10 am-5 pm
- Art-making activity: Make a tropical fan, noon-3:45 pm
- Family Science Adventures: Find the Roving Scientist and discover the wonders of science through activities and demonstrations, 10 am-2 pm
- Planetarium Shows, 11:15 am, noon, 1 pm, and 2 pm (additional fee)
Tuesday, August 14
- Hands-on Artifact Activity Cart - Examine objects that were popular 100 years ago and play interactive games; 10:30 am-12:30 pm
Wednesday, August 15
- Performance: The Minstrel’s Revels: Medieval Life in Song and Story by Mary Jo Maichack – An interactive celebration of the poems, stories, and music of the Middle Ages; 1 pm
Thursday, August 16
- Hands-on Art Activity Cart - Handle artists’ tools, learn about styles and composition, enjoy games and puzzles; 10:30 am-12:30- pm
- Performance: Arabiqua: Arabic Music, Dancing and Culture by Karim Nagi – Learn about Arab and Muslim culture through authentic costumes, audience participation and humor; 1 pm
Friday, August 17
- Performance: Peter and the Wolf by the National Marionette Theatre – This adaptation of the Russian folktale features beautiful music, stunning scenery, and hand-crafted marionettes; 1 pm
Free onsite parking is available.
The admission fee includes access to the following special exhibitions: LEGO® Castle Adventure; Tiffany Lamps: Articles of Utility, Objects of Art; Storm Stories: Path of Fury; and Room by Room, an outdoor “stickwork” sculpture by Patrick Dougherty.