Springfield Museums Press Releases
Summer Spectacular Continues at the Springfield Museums
General Museum News
July 9, 2012
The Springfield Museums “Summer Spectacular” series of family fun will continue the week of July 23-27 with a science show, a performance of dancing and drumming, and a marionette fairy tale in addition to special exhibitions and activities. Live performances will be offered on Wednesday, Thursday and Friday. Activities are free with the price of museum admission unless noted.
General museum admission will be free for everyone on Friday, July 27, thanks to a Free Fun Fridays grant from the Highland Street Foundation.
The premier summer sponsor is Massachusetts Mutual Life Insurance Company (MassMutual). The live performances are also supported in part by Berkshire Bank.
Daily Activities, July 23-27
- Enter the royal world of castles and kings and test your building skills with a visit to the special exhibit LEGO® Castle Adventure, 10 am-5 pm
- Art-making activity: Decorate a visor with fun summer designs, noon-3:45 pm
- Family Science Adventures: Find the Roving Scientist and discover the wonders of science through activities and demonstrations, 10 am-2 pm
- Planetarium Shows, 11:15 am, noon, 1 pm, and 2 pm (additional fee)
Tuesday, July 24
- Hands-on Activity Cart - Artifacts: Examine objects that were popular 100 years ago and play interactive games; 10:30 am-12:30 pm
Wednesday, July 25
- Performance: Science Isn’t Always Pretty by Keith Johnson – Outrageous questions, wild answers and dramatic demonstrations bring science to life; 1 pm
Thursday, July 26
- Hands-on Activity Cart - Art: Handle artists’ tools, learn about styles and composition, enjoy games and puzzles; 10:30 am-12:30- pm
- Performance: Bamidele Dancers and Drummers – Rhythm and dance, folklore and songs from West Africa, Brazil, and the Caribbean; 1 pm
Friday, July 27 - Free Fun Friday
- Performance: Sleeping Beauty by Tanglewood Marionettes – The classic fairy tale performed with hand-crafted marionettes by a master puppeteer; 11:30 am and 1:30 pm
Free onsite parking is available.
The admission fee includes access to the following special exhibitions: LEGO® Castle Adventure; Tiffany Lamps: Articles of Utility, Objects of Art; In Company with Angels: Seven Rediscovered Tiffany Windows; Storm Stories: Path of Fury; and Stickwork: Outdoor Sculpture by Patrick Dougherty.