Springfield Museums Press Releases
Summer Spectacular Continues at the Springfield Museums
General Museum News
June 29, 2012
The Springfield Museums “Summer Spectacular” series of family fun will continue the week of July 16-20 with a puppet circus, a musical performance, and a magic show in addition to special exhibitions and activities. Live performances will be offered on Wednesday, Thursday and Friday. Activities are free with the price of museum admission unless noted.
The premier summer sponsor is Massachusetts Mutual Life Insurance Company (MassMutual). The live performances are also supported in part by Berkshire Bank.
Daily Activities, July 16-20
- Enter the royal world of castles and kings and test your building skills with a visit to the special exhibit LEGO® Castle Adventure, 10 am-5 pm
- Art-making activity: Make magic scratch carnival shapes, noon-3:45 pm
- Family Science Adventures: Find the Roving Scientist and discover the wonders of science through activities and demonstrations, 10 am-2 pm
- Planetarium Shows, 11:15 am, noon, 1 pm, and 2 pm (additional fee)
Tuesday, July 17
- Hands-on Activity Cart - Artifacts: Examine objects that were popular 100 years ago and play interactive games; 10:30 am-12:30 pm
Wednesday, July 18
- Performance: Circus on a String by Robert Rogers Puppet Company – A tour de force production with an array of puppet clowns and acrobats; 1 pm
Thursday, July 19
- Hands-on Activity Cart - Art: Handle artists’ tools, learn about styles and composition, enjoy games and puzzles; 10:30 am-12:30- pm
- Performance: Roots of American Music by Made in the Shade – A musical history of American Pop starting with its African origins all the way through jazz, country, rock ‘n roll, fund, and hip-hop, 1 pm
Friday, July 20
- Performance: Magic, Magic, Magic by Steve Wronker – A comedy magic show with plenty of audience participation, 1 pm
Free onsite parking is available.
The admission fee includes access to the following special exhibitions: LEGO® Castle Adventure; Tiffany Lamps: Articles of Utility, Objects of Art; In Company with Angels: Seven Rediscovered Tiffany Windows; Storm Stories: Path of Fury; and Stickwork: Outdoor Sculpture by Patrick Dougherty.