Springfield Museums Press Releases
Science Museum Celebrates Earth Day
General Museum News
April 16, 2012
The Springfield Science Museum will celebrate Earth Day with the annual outdoor Earth Day Festival on the Quadrangle grounds on Sunday, April 22, followed by a Cleanup on Saturday, April 28. Activities are free with museum admission unless noted.
Earth Day activities are sponsored by Friendly’s Ice Cream, GZA GeoEnvironmental Inc., MASSPOWER, and Styrolution America.
Earth Day Festival - Sunday, April 22
11 am-3 pm: Environmental songs by the Blue Grass band known as “The Boys of the Landfill”
Noon – Live bird of prey program presented by Tom Ricardi
Ongoing, 11 am-4 pm
- Paper Making activity by the Environmental Center for Our Schools (ECOS)
- WoW Express, the Watershed on Wheels mobile exhibit from the Silvio O. Conte National Fish and Wildlife Refuge.
- Renewable Resources display by EcoBuilding Bargains
- Free tree seedlings from the Springfield Forestry Division
- Watershed Model from the Connecticut River Watershed Council
- Free ice cream from Friendly’s
- Casting Clinic by the Massachusetts Wildlife Angler Education Program
- Aquarium Display by the Pioneer Valley Aquarium Society
- Wastewater Treatment Model by United Water Environmental Services
- Solar Energy Display by Real Goods Solar
- Great American Cleanup Display by Keep Springfield Beautiful
Earth Day Cleanup, Saturday April 28, 8 am-noon
Join the Science Museum’s volunteer team to help remove trash from Springfield’s parks and public spaces. Cleanup volunteers will meet at Duggan Middle School, 1015 Wilbraham Road in Springfield. Bags, buckets and gloves will be provided at check in. Complimentary lunches provided on a first come, first served basis. Rain or shine.
For information or to volunteer, call 413.263.6800, ext. 404, or email email@example.com. Presented in conjunction with Keep Springfield Beautiful’s Great American Cleanup.