Springfield Museums Events October
Family Fiesta Day
October 13th, 11:00 am - 4:30 pmGeneral Museum Event
Free with museum admission!
Co-hosted by WGBY Public Television for Western New England's Latino Advisory Board.
TASTING, PERFORMANCES & DEMONSTRATIONS
Bomba y Plena, 11:15 am-noon
Percussion-driven musical traditions from Puerto Rico that move people to dance.
Food Samples, Noon-1:30 pm
Try an assortment of tradtional Latin American foods provided by local restautants. While supplies last.
- La Veracruzana (Mexican)
- La Fonda (Colombian)
- Puerto Rican Bakery
- Salsa's Salvadorian Food
- Sol Karibe
- Latino's Kitchen (Spanish)
- Frontera Grll (Mexican)
Guiro Demonstration, 12:15-12:45 pm
A Latin-American percussion instrument consisting of a hollow gourd with parallel notches cut in one side.
Salsa Class, 1-1:45 pm
Learn this popular dance, step by step!
MarKamusic Demonstration & Performance, 2-2:45 pm & 3:45-4:30 pm
Traditional, folkloric and pop music of Latin American origin, fused with Latin jazz and western instruments.
Parade of Hispanic Heritage & WGBY Digital Stories, 3:15-3:45 pm
Local students share facts about Latin American countries, dressed in traditional folk attire, followed by an original documentary presentation.
- Special Exhibition. Sisterhood: Mixed Media Paintings by Rosa Ibarra. 10 am-5 pm.
- Sea Glass Mosaic activity. Inspired by Ibarra’s artwork. 11 am-3 pm.
- Dominoes. Popular leisure activity in many Hispanic countries. 11 am-3 pm.
- Face Painting. First come, first served. 11 am-3 pm.
- Make a flag activity. In the Hasbro Games Art Discovery Center. Noon-3:45 pm.
Sponsored by Baystate Health, Pride Stations & Stores and Springfield Technical Community College
Select a day above to view events for that week.